Welcome to Sunset Park!
Who are we
5th Avenue in Sunset Park is often called the Main Street of Sunset Park In 1995, the Sunset Park Business Improvement District was created by the property owners, business owners and residents of 5th Avenue. With a mission to revitalize the economic stability of the 5th Avenue shopping corridor, it strives to create a better shopping environment, and enhance the quality of life for Sunset Park.
This is accomplished through its strong advocacy, supplemental services, community events and continual promotion of the district. The BID has become an integral part of the Sunset Park neighborhood, working with local organizations, schools, elected officials and city agencies.
Throughout its history, the Sunset Park BID has looked to be part of new programs and to create innovative ways to resolve everyday issues. A networking bond linking the Sunset Park BID, the community of Sunset Park and the other areas of the City of New York has strengthened the retail viability of the district.
Free business counseling is available by appointments on Tuesdays right at the BID!
The New Business Acceleration Team (NBAT) was launched in 2010 to help businesses navigate City requirements and open their doors more quickly and easily. Created through a partnership between Council Speaker Quinn and Mayor Bloomberg, NBAT has helped nearly 600 restaurants shave an average of 75 days off the time to open.
Looking to start a new business, relocate, or even expand your existing business? The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) can help you improve your chances for success whether you are looking to start your own small business or are an established small business owner. We offer counseling and training on a range of small business topics including:
- the importance of a business plan
- discover sources of funding
- prepare for e-commerce
- identify avenues for exporting goods & services
- develop marketing plans
- comply with licensing & regulations
Caroline Herrero, SBDC Business Advisor, would like to show you why Sunset Park is a great location! For more information on the SBDC services within the Sunset Park 5th Avenue BID, please free to contact Caroline at 718-797-0187 or send an email to, CHerrero@CityTech.Cuny.Edu. For a list of our training workshops and classes please go to their website.
Brooklyn District Attorney's Safe Stop Program
The Sunset Park BID, along with 2 other BIDs, is working with Brooklyn District Attorney Hynes and the 72nd Precinct to protect our 2 most vulnerable residents, our elderly and our children.
We are asking our business owners to please take part in this important program by downloading the application and either emailing it back to the BID office at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to 718-439-7794. I hope many of you will sign on and give back to the community.
If you were part of the Safe Havens program, you will still need to reapply for the newly updated Safe Stop program. Thank you.Safe Stop Locations (KCDA)
Safe Stop Application
Molly the Trolley Brings Cheer to Sunset Park!
This holiday season Sunset Park 5th Ave shoppers were in for a very special treat - a FREE trolley on 5th Ave! The trolley ran on key dates this holiday season making all bus stops from 38th to 64th streets from 1pm to 5pm. On board the trolley were our very own Sunset Park BID carolers singing holiday favorites along with Santa Claus! The trolley will be back later this year, so keep an eye out for it while you're shopping on 5th!
Congresswoman Velázquez Gets New Pails For the SPBID
Thanks to help from our Congresswoman, Nydia Velázquez, the Sunset Park BID was able to place 102 brand new waste receptables on every corner from 38th Street to 64th Street.
These new pails are larger than normal corner pails and will hold more garbage and reduce the amount of litter on the street. This is all part of the BID's continuing effort to beautify the avenue and create a positive atmosphere inducive to shopping.Read the Press Release
See What 5th Avenue Properties Are Available
Looking to buy or rent on 5th? Check out our listing of available Properties for rent or sale! This list may not have every available property, as we only post properties at the owner's request. If you are a property owner and would like to have your property listed there, please contact our office.
Upcoming Events For 2013
- Sidewalk Sales Days March 23/24, May 11/12, June 15/16/21, July 27/28, Oct 14/26/27, Nov 29/30 and Dec 1/21/22/23/24 - Each month we will host sidewalk sales with our businesses offering bargains in front of their stores from 38th to 64th Street. Shop for all your holiday, back-to-school or everyday needs at your local 5th Avenue business.
- Make Music NY June 21, First day of Summer - 6th Annual event in Sunset Park. Look for special shows at the following local businesses. (Locations and schedule to be announced)
- Sunset Park 5th Avenue Street Festival Sunday September 15 - The highlight of the year will again take place from 44th to 59th Street. Two stages of free all-day entertainment and free rides for the children are planned. Look for bargains from your favorite 5th Avenue businesses and vendors. The FDNY Fire Safety House, Brooklyn Public Library Bookmobile, NYPD free Child ID kits, Brooklyn-Staten Island Bloodmobile will be among the other special attractions. Check in July for applications if you want to participate as a vendor.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony Thursday Dec 5 - Celebrate the start of the Holiday season in front of OLPH Basilica at 60th Street and 5th Avenue. Music and entertainment by our local school children, free Santa pictures and goodie bags will be our way of saying thank you to our customers.
- Sunset Park Trolley Dates to be announced - Last year, the BID sponsored a free Trolley which ran for 5 days. This year we intend to host it for several weekends throughout the year, including on Brooklyn Friday, Small Business Saturday and the Sunday after Thanksgiving.